I build and invest in tech companies. I love the impact that is possible with software, and enjoy learning and working with great people in pursuit of important missions.
I started my career at JP Morgan Asset Management, and have worked on management of more than $4.3B over a career in investment management and venture capital, including 7 years as portfolio manager of a computational commodity fund, 20 years as Director of Technology Investments for Mediatech Capital, and 10 years in VC.
At the same time, I founded companies or worked with early founding teams 14 times, and participated in 35 tech startups resulting in 10 exits (so far) totaling $900m+ in enterprise value.
I have been working in Web3 since 2016, built a blockchain oracle company in partnership with ConsenSys, founded the Oracle Working Group at the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, and contributed to the Specification for Off-Chain Trusted Compute. Previously, I focused on machine learning and SaaS with a focus in finance, founded the New England AI meetup that grew to 2500+ members, and contributed to the US Secret Service NY Electronic Crimes Task Force .
I enjoy working with startups, co-founded a Boston angel investor group in 2006, Beta Fund in 2012, and Broom Ventures in 2019. I look for exceptional teams, leadership, and culture in the companies I work with.
March 2019 – present: Managing Partner, CIO
San Diego, San Francisco, and Boston
- Formation and fund management.
- Chief Investment Officer, Investment Committee chair.
- Early stage investments in technology companies and their teams.
December 2016 – present: Co-founder, Board member
New York, NY
- Rhombus is a blockchain oracle data service.
- Ethereum Mainnet.
- ConsenSys Mesh Company.
- Founder, Enterprise Ethereum Alliance‘s Oracle Working Group
- Contributed to Enterprise Ethereum Alliance – Off Chain Trusted Compute Specification
September 2019 – August 2021: Board member
- Financial AI.
- Acquired v2 Ratings in 2019
January 2014 – September 2019: Founder, CEO
Chestnut Hill, MA
- Formation of data-driven investment rating service
- Machine learning for valuation and risk (Video)
- Sold to Xynon in 2019
July 2012 – present: Founder & Principal
Chestnut Hill, MA
- Formation and fund manager.
- Investment Committee member.
- 14 portfolio companies in Health/Biotech, Enterprise Software, and Consumer Apps.
Mediatech Capital Partners
July 2002 – present: Director, Technology Investments
July 2001 – July 2002: Vice President
New York, NY
- Corporate finance, M&A, strategic, and operational advisor.
- Public and private clients.
- 60+ projects including acquisitions, financing, restructuring.
Sept 2018 – July 2019: Advisor
July 2016 – May 2018: President, CEO
- Built a venture capital company, a member of the Wolfram consortium of companies.
Apt Capital / VKRA
January 2012 – May 2016: Founder & President of Apt Capital
August 2005 – May 2013: Portfolio Manager of Commodity Investment LP
August 2002 – December 2011: Vice President of VKRA
Chestnut Hill, MA & Westport, CT
- Portfolio Manager of commodity fund for 7 years
- Responsibilities in trading, R&D, operations, compliance
- Member of two-person Investment Committee for three investment limited partnerships.
- Software engineer with focus on data acquisition and quantitative signaling: relative value, time series, yield & premium curves, fundamental valuation, statistical arbitrage, and efficient frontier modeling.
January 2006 – January 2013: Co-founder
- Built a community for fast-growing companies and active private investors.
- Chair of the Screening Committee for 7 years.
- Deal sourcing, due diligence, & technology focus.
Sept. 2000 – Sept. 2001: Chief Strategic Officer of AnIdea Corp.
May 1999 – Sept. 2000: Founder & CEO of ThoughtStore, Inc.
New York, NY
- Founded ThoughtStore, an online intellectual property licensing exchange.
- Served more than 600 individual and institutional IP portfolio managers.
- Sold ThoughtStore to AnIdea Corp.
- Licensed system to Lucent Technologies for license management of software products from Bell Laboratories.
Winged Keel Asset Management
Oct. 1998 – Jan. 2000: Director of Research
New York, NY
- Responsible for the asset allocation, investment research, and performance measurement for the firm.
- Developed automated systems for asset allocation, documentation, and client-ready presentations.
- Built automated notification tools to streamline client communications.
- Built automated marketing reports to identify cross-selling targets and improve sales pipeline visibility.
- Technology Committee chairman, Executive Committee member.
JP Morgan Investments, Fixed Income Group
July 1997 – Oct. 1998: Analyst
New York, NY
- Primary responsibility for development of Broad Market and Tax Aware Frameworks (fixed income asset allocation models). The models produced portfolios optimized by excess or absolute risk and return characteristics, with optimal bet sizes and turnover rates for strategic and tactical management of duration and sector allocations. Tax Aware Framework additionally considered income and capital gains tax rates.
- Produced 19 custom pitches with asset allocations, resulting in new or enhanced mandates for $4.2 Billion from institutions, government organizations, and high net worth individuals.
- Assisted development of relative-value program for security selection in dollar-neutral fund overlay strategy for the Multi-Markets Group, an internal hedge fund.
- Produced market analytics for pricing and strategy of Muni BMA swaps, duration management of taxable portfolios using derivatives, and crossover trading.
- Taught employee classes for fixed income analytics, derivatives pricing, and asset allocation.
- Received the only perfect score on the division-wide annual performance review for 1998.
A.B. in Economics
Certificate in Applied and Computational Mathematics
September 1993 – June 1997
- Graduate courses: Principles of Corporate Finance, Legal and Regulatory Policy Toward Markets, International Macroeconomics, Topics in Applied Economics: Financial Markets.
- Original Research: Finance: Deviations from MPT, CAPM, and APT, as Applied to Global Equities Indices; Number theory: Order Relations of Infractions.
Wolfram Education Group
M330: Neural Networks, November 2003
- Feed-forward Neural Networks and Radial Basis Function, Nonlinear Dynamic Black-Box Modeling, Classification and Clustering with Neural Networks.
- Machine Learning with Andrew Ng, Fall 2011, 100%
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence with Sebastian Thrun and Peter Norvig, Fall 2011, 93.1%
- Trustee, Groton Conservation Trust (’21 – present)
- Board of Directors: Invoke Solutions (’14 – ’22) (Acquired by MarketCast, ’22)
- Founder and Organizer, New England Artificial Intelligence (’11 – ’16)
- Private Trustee for HNW families (’08 – present)
- Chief Architect, Firecracker (’11 – ’12) (Acquired by Wolters Kluwer, Euronext: WKL)
- Board of Directors: InnerPass, Inc. (’08 – ’12)
- CTO, Tournament Trading Technologies (’09 – ’11)
- Vice Chairman, Technology Advisory Committee to the Princeton Alumni Council (’09)
- Member, United States Secret Service New York Electronic Crimes Task Force (’02 – ’09)
- Founding Partner: IRIServe (Industrial Response Internet Services) (’02)
- Board of advisors, Jovus Inc. (Financial services software) (’02)
- Technical advisory board: RealAI (game combat AI) (’01)
- English teacher at 7 companies in Tokyo (’95)
- Assistant, Brookhaven National Labs Linear Particle Accelerator test facility (’95)
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance – Off Chain Trusted Compute Specification
- Chapter 59 of “101 Things You Need to Know About Internet Law”
- Mispricing of risk in the implied forward BMA basis swap
- Managing Duration with Muni BMA Swaps
- Pricing and Strategy for Muni BMA Swaps
- “Web3 Oracles and DLCs for smart contracts that resolve in BTC“, Stacks Accelerator (’22)
- Panelist, Princeton Entrepreneurship Council, Tiger Entrepreneurs Conference (’22)
- “They Might be Robots; using data for investment management and trading“, Boston Data Festival at the Microsoft N.E.R.D Center (’15)
- Panelist, Building Competitive Advantage in the Global Market, Harvard Faculty Club (’08)
- Guest Speaker, 128 Innovation Capital Group (’08)
- Guest Speaker, TCN & Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurship at Babson College (’08)
- Judge, Princeton University Annual Business Plan Competition (’03, ’05, ’06)
- Guest speaker, Bendheim Center for Finance, Princeton University (’02)
- Guest lecturer, Pace University School of Law, LAW 757, Law Seminar: Intellectual Property (’01)
- Guest lecturer, Baruch college MBA Program, Business Communications (’01)
- Panelist, New York Law Journal Seminars on the Future of E-Commerce (’00)
- Registered Investment Advisor representative (NASD, Series 65) (’99)
- Member, New York Society of Security Analysts, (’99)