I am also a Principal of Beta Fund and a member of the Board at Invoke. I have been a founder, CEO, CTO, developer, advisor, and investor. I particularly enjoy software, machine learning, and decision-support systems design.
Previously, I worked for a hedge fund in CT where I developed investment signaling tools for global equity funds for 9 years and ran a commodity fund for 7 years. I began my career as an analyst in the Fixed Income Applied Research Group at JP Morgan Investments, founded and sold a web-based market for intellectual property licensing, and worked on tech M&A.
July 2016 – present: President, CEO
- Building a new venture capital company, a member of the Wolfram consortium of companies.
July 2012 – present: Founder & Principal
Chestnut Hill, MA
- Formation and management of micro VC fund.
- 14 portfolio companies in Health/Biotech, Enterprise Software, and Consumer Apps
- Board Advisor
January 2014 – June 2016: Founder, CEO
- Formation of data-driven investment rating service
- Machine learning for valuation and risk (Video)
Mediatech Capital Partners
July 2002 – present: Director, Technology Investments
July 2001 – July 2002: VP
New York, NY
- Corporate finance, M&A, strategic, and operational advisor.
- Public and private clients.
- 60+ projects including acquisitions, financing, restructuring.
Apt Capital / VKRA
January 2012 – May 2016: Founder & President of Apt Capital
August 2005 – May 2013: Portfolio Manager of Commodity Investment LP
August 2002 – December 2011: Vice President of VKRA
Chestnut Hill, MA & Westport, CT
- Portfolio Manager of commodity fund for 7 years
- Responsible for trading, R&D, operations, compliance
- Member of two-person Investment Committee for three investment limited partnerships.
- Software engineer with focus on data acquisition and quantitative signaling: relative value, time series, yield & premium curves, fundamental valuation, statistical arbitrage, and efficient frontier modeling.
January 2006 – January 2013: Co-founder
- Built a community for fast-growing companies and active private investors.
- Chair of the Screening Committee for 7 years.
- Deal sourcing, due diligence, & technology focus.
Sept. 2000 – Sept. 2001: Chief Strategic Officer of AnIdea Corp.
May 1999 – Sept. 2000: Founder & CEO of ThoughtStore, Inc.
New York, NY
- Founded ThoughtStore, an online intellectual property licensing exchange.
- Served more than 600 individual and institutional IP portfolio managers.
- Sold ThoughtStore to AnIdea Corp.
- Licensed system to Lucent Technologies for license management of software products from Bell Laboratories.
Winged Keel Asset Management
Oct. 1998 – Jan. 2000: Director of Research
New York, NY
- Responsible for the asset allocation, investment research, and performance measurement for the firm.
- Developed automated systems for asset allocation, documentation, and client-ready presentations.
- Built automated notification tools to streamline client communications.
- Built automated marketing reports to identify cross-selling targets and improve sales pipeline visibility.
- Technology Committee chairman, Executive Committee member.
JP Morgan Investments, Fixed Income Group
July 1997 – Oct. 1998: Analyst
New York, NY
- Primary responsibility for development of Broad Market and Tax Aware Frameworks (fixed income asset allocation models). The models produced portfolios optimized by excess or absolute risk and return characteristics, with optimal bet sizes and turnover rates for strategic and tactical management of duration and sector allocations. Tax Aware Framework additionally considered income and capital gains tax rates.
- Produced 19 custom pitches with asset allocations, resulting in new or enhanced mandates for $4.2 Billion from institutions, government organizations, and high net worth individuals.
- Assisted development of relative-value program for security selection in dollar-neutral fund overlay strategy for the Multi-Markets Group, an internal hedge fund.
- Produced market analytics for pricing and strategy of Muni BMA swaps, duration management of taxable portfolios using derivatives, and crossover trading.
- Taught employee classes for fixed income analytics, derivatives pricing, and asset allocation.
- Received the only perfect score on the division-wide annual performance review for 1998.
A.B. in Economics
Certificate in Applied and Computational Mathematics
September 1993 – June 1997
- Graduate courses: Principles of Corporate Finance, Legal and Regulatory Policy Toward Markets, International Macroeconomics, Topics in Applied Economics: Financial Markets.
- Original Research: Finance: Deviations from MPT, CAPM, and APT, as Applied to Global Equities Indices; Number theory: Order Relations of Infractions.
Wolfram Education Group
M330: Neural Networks, November 2003
- Feed-forward Neural Networks and Radial Basis Function, Nonlinear Dynamic Black-Box Modeling, Classification and Clustering with Neural Networks.
- Board of Directors: Invoke Solutions (’14 – present)
- Founder and Organizer, New England Artificial Intelligence (’11 – ’16)
- Private Trustee
- Chief Architect, Firecracker (’11 – ’12)
- Board of Directors: Group Mix / InnerPass, Inc. (’08 – ’12)
- CTO, Tournament Trading Technologies (’09 – ’11)
- Vice Chairman, Technology Advisory Committee to the Princeton Alumni Council (’09)
- Member, United States Secret Service New York Electronic Crimes Task Force (’02 – ’09)
- Monitoring and Regulation of Private Internet Servers (’02)
- Fighting Digital Copyright Infringement (’02)
- Founding Partner: IRIServe (Industrial Response Internet Services) (’02)
- Board of advisors, Jovus Inc. (Financial services software) (’02)
- Technical advisory board: RealAI (game combat AI) (’01)
- English teacher at 7 companies in Tokyo (’95)
- Assistant, Brookhaven National Labs Linear Particle Accelerator test facility (’95)
- Chapter 59 of “101 Things You Need to Know About Internet Law”
- Mispricing of risk in the implied forward BMA basis swap
- Managing Duration with Muni BMA Swaps
- Pricing and Strategy for Muni BMA Swaps
- “They Might be Robots; using data for investment management and trading“, Boston Data Festival at the Microsoft N.E.R.D Center (’15)
- Panelist, Building Competitive Advantage in the Global Market, Harvard Faculty Club (’08)
- Guest Speaker, 128 Innovation Capital Group (’08)
- Guest Speaker, TCN & Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurship at Babson College (’08)
- Judge, Princeton University Annual Business Plan Competition (’03, ’05, ’06)
- Guest speaker, Bendheim Center for Finance, Princeton University (’02)
- Guest lecturer, Pace University School of Law, LAW 757, Law Seminar: Intellectual Property (’01)
- Guest lecturer, Baruch college MBA Program, Business Communications (’01)
- Panelist, New York Law Journal Seminars on the Future of E-Commerce (’00)
- Registered Investment Advisor representative (NASD, Series 65) (’99)
- Member, New York Society of Security Analysts, (’99)